A blog dedicated to providing quotes by and posts relating to one of the most influential (and quotable!) authors of the twentieth century, G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936). If you do not know much about GKC, I suggest visiting the webpage of the American Chesterton Society as well as this wonderful Chesterton Facebook Page by a fellow Chestertonian

I also have created a list detailing examples of the influence of Chesterton if you are interested, that I work on from time to time.

(Moreover, for a list of short GKC quotes, I have created one here, citing the sources)

"...Stevenson had found that the secret of life lies in laughter and humility."

-Heretics (1905)
_____________________



Sunday, May 29, 2011

Dedications to GKC by Dean Koontz and Terry Pratchett / Neil Gaiman

First, today is GKC's 137th birthday! :-)

Today while at Wal-Mart, I came across another Dean Koontz novel that began with a quote from Chesterton, specifically from GKC's book The Superstition of Divorce. (This is the fourth such Koontz novel I have encountered beginning with a GKC quote). The Koontz novel is "The Dead Town" in his Frankenstein series, and the GKC quote was:

"Man can always be blind to a thing so long as it is big enough. It is so difficult to see the world in which we live."

However, this time the novel was also *dedicated* to GKC as well, so I have reproduced the dedication below:

"To the memory of Gilbert K. Chesterton, who presented wisdom and hard truths in a most appealing package, changing countless lives with kindness and a smile."

It reminds me of another novel that was dedicated to GKC which I do not myself possess, but have heard of. The novel Good Omens, co-written by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett has the following dedication:

"The authors would like to join the demon Crowley in dedicating this book to the memory of G.K. Chesterton, a man who knew what was going on."

(Admittedly it is ironic, given that Chesterton was such a strong Christian, to see the reference to "the demon Crowley", but.... From what I understand, Crowley is one of the characters in the novel; however, I know nothing more, so I can't really comment)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crowley is an Fallen Angel, one who "did not so much fall, as saunter vaugely downwards"

The book is very funny, I would recommend that you give it a go.

Margo

Mike said...

Thank-you for the information! :-)