A blog dedicated to providing quotes by and posts relating to one of the most influential (and quotable!) authors of the twentieth century, G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936). If you do not know much about GKC, I suggest visiting the webpage of the American Chesterton Society as well as this wonderful Chesterton Facebook Page by a fellow Chestertonian

I also have created a list detailing examples of the influence of Chesterton if you are interested, that I work on from time to time.

(Moreover, for a list of short GKC quotes, I have created one here, citing the sources)

"...Stevenson had found that the secret of life lies in laughter and humility."

-Heretics (1905)
_____________________



Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Chestertonian Ray Bradbury Dies :-(

R.I.P.

I have never read any of his stories myself, but I have heard them recommended by friends of mine.

However, I was aware that Bradbury was an admirer of Chesterton's writing, listing him among his literary heroes, and even wrote a poem about his heroes, mentioning GKC in the title of the poem:  The R.B., G.K.C., and G.B.S. Forever Orient Express

You can read part of the poem here, via Google Books through their preview, though parts of the poem are not included in the preview. Here are the first eight lines, however:

And when I die, will this dream truly be
Entrained with Shaw and Chesterton and me?
O, glorious Lord, please make it so
That down along eternity we'll row
Atilted headlong, nattering the way
All mouth, no sleep, and endless be our day;
The Chesterton Night Tour, the Shaw Express
A picknicking of brains in London dress...

For an example of Bradbury mentioning GKC among his literary heroes, see this post.

No comments: