-September 4, 1926 G.K.'s Weekly
Quotes by and posts relating to one of the most influential authors of the 20th century, G.K. Chesterton
Thursday, September 3, 2026
I am almost tempted to say, well knowing that the remark will be wildly misunderstood, that one advantage of joining the Catholic Church is that you can for the first time forget it. I know very well, of course, that in the real sense it is never forgotten; but in this superficial and psychological, I had almost said in this neurotic sense, the paradox is perfectly true. It is true of the enemy of the religion, to whom it is horribly vivid. Men are not tied to the apron-strings of the Church, when they regard her as a mother, half so much as they are hag-ridden by her when they regard her as a hag...In that sense, comparatively speaking, I can really forget it. I forget it as a man forgets his own arms and legs; because he is using them and they are part of himself. But a man never forgets the leg he has lost. Still less can that unfortunate leg, cut off and wandering about the world by itself, ever forget the head and body whence it came.
No comments:
Post a Comment